Initial situation / problem statement
The light industry is highly developed in Kyrgyz Republic, but still there is a very low amount of professional sewers. The problem of that situation is that there is no quality education among sewers that leads to a lack of qualified personnel. The education and skills that seamstresses get in professional lyceums are no longer relevant. In general, the program, technology of sewing and cutting are useless in our time, so they graduate with skills that are not required in the workshops. So, all workshops of our country are suffering from lack of professionals.
Nowadays there are a lot of women who need work in order to feed their children and themselves as they were abused by their husbands or husbands’ families. So they didn’t want to put up with that and these women left their husbands. But now they are living in the crisis center “Sezim”, which they have to leave after sometime and most of them even do not know where they will go, what they will do and how they will live as most of them came from remote regions and do not have any education. They do not even have any working experience, as many of them, according to Kyrgyz traditions, were forced to marry at a young age. So these women need some help in order to continue their lives.
The main goal of this project is to give qualified education to women who are now living in crisis centers by making a special program with professionals in this sphere. Also next target is to provide women, who completed these courses with work in one of the workshops of our partners. Also, we are going to create a first edition of the document (handbook) for textile industry workers that would contain working ethics principles, different tips, different quality standards, and advice on how to succeed in this industry.
- To teach 8 women from crisis center a qualified program and required sewing skills by the end of April, 2017.
- To employ 8 women who graduated from the courses to the workshops of the city by the end of April, 2017.
- To create a handbook that would contain working ethics principles, different tips, different quality standards, and advice on how to succeed in this industry.
8 Women who were abused by their husbands and now are living in the crisis center “Sezim”.
Resources and responsibilities
- Room to conduct courses (to be provided by Kyrgyz Red Crescent)
- Sewing machines
- All necessary equipment for sewing (clothes, threads, needles)
Partnerships and cooperation
- Kyrgyz Red Crescent
- Dzogoev’s workshop (to create a program)
- Workshops (to understand what kind of skills are necessary and to employ graduates)
- To pay a trainer
- To get all necessary equipment for sewing (clothes, threads, needles)
Timeframe and milestones
- To reach an agreement with workshops to employ graduates of the courses by the middle of March, 2017.
- To make a program with Dzogoev and also find a trainer with him by the middle of March 2017
- To reach out to 8 women from crisis centers “Sezim” by the end of March, 2017.
- To start the courses in the beginning of April, 2017 and finish them by the end of April 2017.
- To employ graduates by the end of the April, 2017.
- To create a handbook by the end of the April, 2017.